As art director and design oversight for this project, myself and the team at MKG helped bring Google’s smart home technology to life. The “Helpful Home” activation showcased a conceptual home environment that interacts with its owner through exciting technology innovations. We took a simple and human-centered design approach: we created a deconstructed house comprised of a kitchen, living room, bedroom, and garage space. A circular flow encouraged participants to explore and move through the exhibit seamlessly.
The material palette consisted of warm woods and clean white surfaces punctuated by Google’s bright color palette, which directed participants to specific areas of interest. Mildly distressed furniture and homey details gave the space a lived-in feel, distinguishing it from many other booths on the show floor— a distinction which led us to win Best in Show at this year’s conference! This is one of my favorite spatial design projects yet.
Position: Art Director & Design Oversight
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Initial design iterations and brainstorming
- Concept development, mood boards, material boards and strategy
- Conducting internal design reviews and finalizing all graphics for design decks
- Client communications and oversight
- Overseeing print, build and sourcing lists
- Oversight for all vendor communications
- On-site design scheduling and oversight of load-in of all design elements
- Design budget oversight
- Management of full design team and coordination with production teams
Photos by OhHello Media and Leanne Kriz